Atin-Atin Lang

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Closure to a Little Painter's Dream

Untitled Landscape (1), one of Mae's early paintings, a view somewhere in Caliraya.

.
One of my mentors in graduate studies, learning about my sister Mae's work and her tragic end, suggested that I arrange with De La Salle Univerity - Manila's Main Library Museum to have her paintings exhibited. I was then working at that university while writing my thesis. She averred that it is the logical course that an artist take. For my sister, it would have served as a closure to fulfill her dreams.

At the onset of negotiations with the museum's curator, however, I left my work in a huff to concentrate on writing my thesis. At least, that was what I told my director. In truth, I was reeling from shock at my sister's brutal death. Actually, everyone in the family was going through a harrowing experience, most specially my parents. Feeling an overpowering emptiness, we were drawn together seeking strength from God and each other. I resigned from work, went home to Laguna and left this business of exhibiting Mae's work hanging in the air. That was in 1994.


Moving on, I got preoccupied with many concerns, started getting odd jobs and forgot the whole thing. And now twelve years after, as I posted my tribute to her in the very first article in this blog site, I thought, "Why not have her virtual exhibit here instead?" So, here are a batch of her earliest paintings... landscapes near home.

.
Untitled Landscape (2), a view somewhere in Caliraya
.
Untitled Landscape (3), a view somewhere in Caliraya
.
Untitled Landscape (4), a view somewhere in Laguna from SLEX
.

Untitled Landscape (5), a view somewhere in Laguna from SLEX

I don't really know whether these works are untitled. I have to dig into her things and see if she left any notes on these paintings. Or perhaps, I have to look under the frames to see if she scribbled any clues. I shall do that when I get the time to visit Laguna and take pictures of her other works as well.

3 Comments:

  • I hope with this you can take up that museum exhibit negotiation again. The world needs to see the beauty that your sister saw and captured.

    By Blogger Kai, at 5/05/2006 05:44:00 PM  

  • hi kai,

    Haven't decided on that yet. I need to have an inventory of her works, have some framed, etc. For now, her exhibit will be on this blog.

    By Blogger Yo, at 5/09/2006 11:15:00 AM  

  • Mae Kabamalan was one of my artist friends while I was studying Painting at PWU-IFAD. I admired her compositions and exquisite color harmony and brush strokes. I was deeply saddened about the terrible new of her untimely death. She will forever live in our hearts.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/26/2012 09:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home